Help & Support
We truly believe it is because we aren’t confined to any one form of teaching or learning – and our tutors are also highly experienced and qualified professionals who are passionate about what they do.
We are able to achieve results for our students by providing:
- A free assessment or consultation (upon request or every 10 weeks).
- Individualised, flexible and ability appropriate programmes.
- Computer and paper based learning for preschool, primary and intermediate students.
- Professional, qualified and experienced teachers and tutors.
- A naturally caring and positive learning environment.
- Having an ‘open door’ policy to discuss your child’s progress and development at any time.
- Ensuring communication lines are always open. Between home, school, your child and the centre, it is vital for progress.
We prioritise a mix of learning methods – not computer only or paper only.
There is plenty of research which shows handwriting is important for brain development, so using a keyboard is no substitute for writing to maximise your child’s potential.
However, the brain also loves change and every time the learning changes from computer to paper to hands-on, it pays attention.
Zest Education Centre tuition is tailored to your child’s needs. Our tutors will use tuition methods that work for your child, not the same way as everyone else.
Usually straight away once we have:
- Met and assessed the student
- Discussed days and times
- Chosen and allocated the right tutor according to the student’s learning needs
Zest Education Centre prioritises communication between home, the student and the tutor, overseen by Paul and Emily.
Every child’s progress is important to us. We encourage all our parents to contact us at any time. Zest Education Centre will also assess and provide feedback to parents (students year 1-8) after every 10 sessions for no additional charge.
The real test of course is the increased confidence and performance of your child at school, which we can guarantee you will see firsthand.
Yes we offer online tuition (via live stream face to face with a teacher or tutor) – please note all sessions are recorded for the safety of our tutors and your child.
However please note these are not physically onsite at your home. Our tutors are fully employed at Zest Education Centre and we prefer that they have full and continual access to our resources.
Each student’s needs are different:
- In general, Zest Education Centre takes the pro-active approach and finds the greatest successes come from consistency and persistence. For this reason we usually recommend tuition for at least 2 terms.
- Where students enrol for a short course of essay writing, study skills, exam techniques, speeches, Zest Education Centre recommends at least 3 to 4 sessions.
- We also recommend to senior students that they continue with Zest Education Centre until they have finished their exams – consistency is the key!
Yes, we are usually open both weeks of the holidays in the mornings between 9am and 3pm. We’re also happy to provide online session options if you are away on holiday but would like to continue with your child’s tuition.
In addition, we are available for exam leave and during the October holidays – where we are open for two weeks (9am – 8pm) prior to senior exams.
There is plenty of work ‘behind the scenes’ that goes into just one tutoring session! From planning the lesson to gathering resources, preparing personalised materials, providing feedback after each session and supporting parents to encourage further study. Primary and intermediate students also have follow-up assessments every 10 sessions.
And of course there’s the 60 minutes of face-to-face tutoring as well!
- $60 (Small Groups 1:3)
- $75 (Small Groups 1:2)
- $90 (Private 1:1)
There is also a $50 enrolment fee
Please add $5 per session for weekly or monthly payments and $15 per session for casual bookings.
Terms and Conditions apply*
45 – 60 minutes (depending on the age of the child)
Yes, we are usually able to accommodate these requests (subject to approval in writing). Many of our students are happy to continue online.
We understand that postponements are sometimes required, and all session changes are free with 24 hours notice. Changes within 24 hours will incur a 50% session rescheduling fee (subject to availability) – however special cases will be considered if a medical certificate is provided.
We do encourage that session times are kept wherever possible, to ensure your child is able to enjoy the maximum learning experience from their term. Our tutors are also in high demand, so on occasion they may be unable to reschedule within a certain timeframe.
Owners Paul and Emily Penhearow are passionate about learning and oversee all tuition sessions at Zest Education Centre. We have a range of specialised tutors for each subject that we match to a student’s personality and learning needs. In this way Zest Education Centre encourages personal learning connections between tutors and the children.
Zest Education Centre tutors all ages on a wide range of Subjects in the New Zealand curriculum and other skills for the following ages and year levels:
- Preschool transition to school (Ages 3-5)
- Primary (Years 1 to 6). We usually recommend children enrol with Zest Education Centre after 6 months at school (and not before). By this time they have learnt skills allowing them to make the most of Zest Education Centre tuition.
- Intermediate (Years 7 and 8)
- Senior Secondary (Years 9 to 13). Zest Education Centre covers all NCEA (Levels 1, 2 and 3), CIE (Cambridge) and IB (International Baccalaureate) subjects and requirements.
Zest Education Centre provides tuition on a wide range of Subjects in the New Zealand curriculum including Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Classical Studies, Latin, Economics and Accounting. For more information, please see Subjects.