Zest Education Centre tutors all ages on a wide range of Subjects in the New Zealand curriculum and other skills for the following ages and year levels:
- Pre-school 'School Readiness' (Ages 3-5)
- Primary (Years 1 to 6). We usually recommend children enrol with Zest Education Centre after 6 months at school (and not before). By this time they have learnt skills allowing them to make the most of Zest Education Centre tuition.
- Intermediate (Years 7 and 8)
- Senior Secondary (Years 9 to 13). Zest Education Centre covers all NCEA (Levels 1, 2 and 3), CIE (Cambridge) and IB (International Baccalaureate) subjects and requirements.
Owners Paul and Emily Penhearow are passionate about learning and oversee all tuition sessions at Zest Education Centre. We have a range of specialised tutors for each subject that we match to a student’s personality and learning needs. In this way Zest Education Centre encourages personal learning connections between tutors and the children. See About.
All session changes are free with 24 hours notice. Changes within 24 hours will incur a 50% session rescheduling fee. (subject to availability). Special cases will be considered if a medical certificate is provided.
Yes, we are usually able to accommodate these requests (subject to approval in writing).
- 60 minutes
All sessions are 60 minutes
$57 (Small Groups 1:3)
$72 (Small Groups 1:2)
$89 (Private 1:1)
$50 enrolment fee
Please add $3 per session for weekly or monthly payments and $13 per sessions for casual bookings
Terms and Conditions apply*
You would be surprised how much goes into one tuition session in the form of tutors’ fees, planning, resources, preparation, parent support, and free assessments for the student every 10 sessions.
Yes, we are usually open both weeks of the holidays in the mornings between 9am and 12pm.
In addition, during the October holidays we are open for two weeks (9am-6pm) prior to senior exams.
Each student’s needs are different:
- In general, Zest Education Centre takes the pro-active approach and finds the greatest successes come from consistency. For this reason we usually recommend tuition for at least 2 terms.
- Where students enrol for a short course of essay writing, study skills, exam techniques, speeches, Zest Education Centre recommends at least 3 to 4 sessions.
- We also recommend to senior students that they continue with Zest Education Centre until they have finished their exams – consistency is the key!
Yes Online (via live stream face to face with a teacher or tutor) - please note all sessions are recorded for the safety of our tutors and your child.
Not onsite physically at your home, as our tutors are fully employed at Zest Education Centre and we prefer that they have full and continual access to our resources. Our central Location means that we are often on the way home on most school runs.
Yes; 1:1 or 1:2 online
Onsite - All Students are taught indivdually; there may be up to 3 students per “group” which allows time for teaching, practise of new skills and revision of old. Secondary students are invited to bring work from school to discuss and work on with their tutor, also look ahead to forthcoming tests and exams so that we can assist them in revision and mastery of previously experienced difficulties. In rare circumstances where we recommend exclusive tutoring (one to one) for an hour or longer, then this will incur additional costs, which we will discuss with you at the time.
Zest Education Centre prioritises communication between home, the student and the tutor, overseen by Paul and Emily.
Every child's progress is important to us. We encourage all our parents to contact us at any time. Zest Education Centre will also assess and provide feedback to parents (students year 1-8) after every 10 sessions for no additional charge.
The real test of course is the increased confidence and performance of your child at school.
Usually straight away once we have:
- Met and assessed the student
- Discussed days and times
- Chosen and allocated the right tutor according to the student’s learning needs
A mix of learning methods are used, not computer only or paper only.
Lots of research shows that handwriting is important for brain development. Using a keyboard is no substitute for writing to maximise your child’s potential.
The brain loves change. Every time the learning changes from computer to paper to hands-on, it pays attention.
Zest Education Centre tuition is tailored to your child’s needs. Our tutors will use tuition methods that work for your child, not the same way as everyone else.
We aren’t confined to any one form of teaching or learning
- Free assessment or consultation (upon request or every 10 weeks)
- Individualised, flexible and ability appropriate programmes
- Computer and paper based learning for preschool, primary and intermediate students
- Professional, qualified and experienced teachers
- A naturally caring and positive learning environment
- We have an ‘open door’ policy to discuss your child’s progress and development at any time.
- We believe that communication between home, school, your child and the centre is vital for progress